Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sleeping in Venice

Ever since our 2nd trip to Venice, we have been going to Locanda Di Orsaria. We arrived in Venice on our honeymoon without a booking, and as we stood in line at the hotel kiosk in the train station, we were approached by someone trying to lure tourists to Hotel Dolomiti around the corner. We refused the offer of a room for $75 until we kept hearing people ahead of us in line asking if they had something cheaper than $125. Hotel Dolomiti was sounding better and better, so we relented and walked around the corner. It was a decent place and we enjoyed our stay there.

We looked for it again when we were planning another visit but it was closed at that time of year and we ended up canceling plans for Venice entirely. On our 2nd trip we successfully booked Hotel Dolomiti, but after the first night we needed to find another hotel, and fast. I spent the entire night trying to avoid being eaten alive by mosquitoes. It was very warm, and the sheet covering my head, to avoid dive bombing and buzzing by mosquitoes, made me so uncomfortably hot I couldn’t sleep at all. While my husband strolled around the following morning, I was on a quest to find another room. I found it directly across the street at Locanda Di Orsaria. When I saw the room and noticed window screens I knew I had found the right place. I have never looked back. Here are some photos of this lovely hotel:

  

 

There are two types of rooms, standard and superior. If you need to feel like a princess, try the superior rooms as seen in the photos above. Personally, I like the old fashioned appearance of the standard rooms, and you can book a family room for 4 with that class. Prices have risen over the years and this has become a highly sought after hotel. I count myself lucky to be able to afford it from time to time.

 

When I first booked the hotel, they didn't have a website and you could get a discount for cash. You could also opt out of breakfast to reduce the room price by a small amount. There is no longer an opt out for breakfast, but it's a great way to start your day, so why not indulge yourself? The lattes come in a bowl the way you see them served in France.

 

Locanda Di Orsaria's Website

No comments: